The weather in Phoenix has been a little bit rainy the last few days, and we're arriving home cold and ready to be warmed up a little. I know that in other parts of the US it's snowing and people are WAY colder than us, so hopefully - this easy and tasty recipe made from things you already have in the pantry and fridge will give you a good idea for dinner one night!
I was able to make this while balancing a 9 month old on my hip, and supervising the 3 year old (okay, so I needed wine after they were in bed), and dinner was served 30 minutes after arriving home. I call that a win. This can also be made ahead - making it even faster when you arrive home!
I made a pile of grilled cheese sandwiches to go with it - and everyone loved it. Even Hayden enjoyed dipping his sandwiches in the soup and scarfing it down.
Soup, it's what's for dinner!
CREAMY TOMATO SOUP
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3 cans of crushed or diced tomatoes (14.5oz)
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup cream or half n half (or yogurt, or sour cream - you choose)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cook the onions until they're soft (about 5 minutes), then add the garlic and cook for a further minute or so.
- Add the flour, and mix well - cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and stock, whisking to blend and thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender - blend until smooth.
- Remove from heat, then add the cream (I warm mine to make it less likely to curdle), mixing thoroughly.
- Test for seasoning - add more if needed, then serve.