We had an abundance of zucchini and yellow squash, so I modified a recipe using an unexpected source, found here, I adjusted it to what we had, what we like and the quantities (we like leftovers, and protein!) and made it as written below.
I'm usually not a huge fan of yellow squash, but it was really good in this dish. I would for sure make this again. I don't know how it will freeze, but have a small portion to test and see! It was a good throw together on a weeknight. Would be even quicker if I had already cooked chicken, and leftover pasta! Give this one a go!
ZUCCHINI/SQUASH/SPINACH PASTA BAKE
- 8oz. (1/2 of 16-oz. pkg.) pasta, uncooked (I used shells)
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked, diced
- 1 tsp. oil
- 3 zucchini, sliced
- 3 yellow squash, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. each dried basil leaves, oregano leaves and crushed red pepper
- 2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8oz cream cheese cubed
- 4 big handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (any kind is fine)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Pre heat oven to 375ºF
- Cook pasta in large saucepan as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add zucchini, squash and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 4 min. or until zucchini is crisp-tender (not mushy)
- Add flour, basil, oregano and crushed red pepper, and cook and stir 1 min.
- Stir in broth; cook and stir 2 to 3 min. or until thickened. Add cream cheese; cook and stir 2 or 3 min. or until melted.
- Drain pasta; return to pan. Add chicken, zucchini mixture, spinach, parmesan and 1 cup mozzarella; mix.
- Pour into casserole dish; top with remaining mozzarella
- Bake 10 min. or until mozzarella is melted, and beginning to brown on top
- When it is done, let it sit for a few minutes, so you can get some good "slices" out, without it all falling apart.