This is really easy, and tastes amazing. Instead of a large deep dish pie, I opted to make these into 4 smaller individual tarts. You could use a regular pie dish with the same amounts of crust, caramel and ganache I used.
Great for making ahead and pulling out of the fridge with a flourish and a "ta-da!"
Chocolate Salted Caramel Oreo Tarts
- ½ package (about 18) whole Oreos (filling and cookie included)
- 1 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 6 oz dark chocolate chips
- Crush the oreos with a food processor, or put them in a ziplock and smash with a rolling pin until finely crushed.
- Place crumbs in a bowl, then stir in 4 tablespoons melted butter until well combined.
- Press firmly into your pie plate or tart pans (bottom and sides). Freeze crust for 10 minutes until set.
- Combine 8 tablespoons butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan.
- Over a medium heat, cook, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to bubble.
- Continue cooking, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Beat in 1/4 cup cream until smooth. Cool about 15 minutes.
- Pour the caramel over the Oreo crust, and then return to freezer for about 30 minutes until chilled and set but not frozen.
- Place chocolate chips in a glass bowl. In a saucepan, bring 1/2 cup cream to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk until completely smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel and freeze for a final 30 minutes, until just chilled and set or refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
Before serving, sprinkle the top with a flaky sea salt like kosher salt,
Store covered in the refrigerator and serve chilled.
Source: Adapted only slightly from www.kevinandamanda.com