Another blog post born of my need to not go to the store and spend eleventy billion dollars when I only went in for one thing. Don't tell me you don't know what I mean! I can go in for bread and milk, and come out with whatever-meat-is-on-sale-and-ooh-look-at-the-deal-on-cereal-and-canned-tomatoes-and-oh-wow-I-forgot-we-needed-cheese-and beer-and chips.... and a depleted bank account.
Now that I'm making my own coffee creamer, (and the chocolate syrup that goes in that too), I wondered if I could make the sweetened condensed milk used in it too. Since condensed milk can sell for $3 ish, I think this is probably cheaper as well.
This took me maybe 5 minutes, and most of that was finding the ingredients in the cupboard. There IS another way - but it takes whole milk, and about 2 hours to reduce down to the level you need. I like this way JUST FINE.
So... how's it taste? UM. YUM!!!! I refrigerated it right after I made it, and when I pulled it out to use, it had thickened into a lovely consistency, and was SO GOOD.
If you have a blender - give this a go!
- 1 cup dry milk powder
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup water
- In a blender, combine sugar and dry milk powder. Pulse briefly to mix.
- In a microwave safe jug, combine the vanilla, butter and water and heat until til it boils (you can use a saucepan if you must).
- Pour into the blender and blast it for a few minutes, until thickened
- Store in the fridge and use as regular condensed milk.