If you haven't noticed - I am a huge fan of make-ahead cooking. Known as OAMC (once a month cooking) in some circles, there really is something about a long day, and coming home to a meal that requires minimum input from you.
This is one of the more requested freezer meals in my house. We serve it over mashed potatoes, or top it with some flaky pastry and call it pie. Call it what you like, it freezes great and is great to have in the freezer. I have been known to double, triple and quadruple this recipe whenever I find round steak on sale.
SOURCE: This recipe is from a book called "Don't panic, dinner is in the freezer". It's a great resource for me!
- 2 lbs round steak
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions , thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , grated (I leave this out!)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Cut steak into serving pieces; dredge steak with flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Brown on both sides in butter and oil in a heavy pan.
- Remove steak from pan; add onions to pan; saute until golden.
- Stir in garlic, wine, broth, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and pepper, stirring up all the browned bits from the bottom of pan. Return steak to pan, cover, and simmer slowly (lower the heat) for 1 1/2 hours, until meat is very tender.
- Stir in cheese until melted (or leave it out), then stir in sour cream; heat until sour cream is blended in, but do not boil.
Can eat immediately or if freezing--cool completely; place meat and sauce together in freezer bag; remove as much air as possible, and seal; Freeze.
Serving day: thaw meat and sauce completely; place in a heavy pan; heat on stove over low heat until sauce and meat are heated through, but do not boil.
I actually put this in a microwave safe dish and heat that way