Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, September 23, 2013

DIY: Chicken stock


In case you thought I'd given up the ghost, and ditched my blog - I haven't. Life got in the way, and although cooking HAS been done, I'd be lying if I said it's taken a nosedive lately in favour of quick-fix meals that are not really photo or blog worthy.

So. You roasted a chicken for dinner, and have a chicken carcass in your fridge. Or you got a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, and after the chicken was eaten, you  considered throwing the bones away? Don't do it!

This is a great way to use up all the vegetables in your fridge that are past their best, use a chicken carcass, and get some gorgeously flavoured stock to use in your favourite recipes later on.

Whenever I have a bag of carrots that are past their best, but still good - I throw them in a ziplock in the freezer. I add celery ends whenever they start to wilt. 

This is so easy, and requires very little hands on attention from you, and results in a very cost-friendly chicken stock.

Here's what you do:

  1. Dig out your crockpot
  2. Throw in the chicken carcass, some roughly chopped carrots (don't peel), celery and an onion (quartered, skin on)
  3. Fill the crock with water
  4. Turn crockpot on low, and walk away for 8 -10 hours
  5. Drain the stock of all solids, and let cool
  6. Scoop off the fat that will rise to the surface
  7. Divide into freezer friendly containers, or keep in the fridge for a day or two before using
Notes
  • If you have some oregano or thyme in the fridge that has seen better days, throw it in
  • I don't add salt, but you can if you'd like. I prefer to adjust the seasoning in whatever recipe I use the stock in
  • I have not canned this in glass jars, but I'm sure it can be done using proper methods for this type of food!



2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite way to use up wilty vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are a mine of wonderful ideas. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited whenever anyone comments. Share your thoughts!