Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, October 21, 2013

Cheesy Zucchini Rice



This is a very fast, very easy dish to throw together on a weeknight.  It was originally intended as a side dish, but I thought that if I added chicken - I could totally get away with calling it "dinner".  And I did.

I've made this several times since I first saw it, and it's become extremely popular in my house.  I have used both regular rice, brown, basmati and jasmine (using up my pantry) all with great results.

Both TFC and TFFC1 chow down on this like crazy. Maybe the cheese? I don't know, and I don't care - they're both eating a ton of zucchini with this (never mind the butter and cheese... ahem).

The best part? 20 minutes. DINNER'S READY!!

SOURCE: Adapted only a little bit (doubled, added more zucchini and added chicken, less butter)
from Taste of Home Cooking and Pink Parsley


CHEESY ZUCCHINI RICE

INGREDIENTS: 
  • 3 ½ cups chicken broth
  • 2 cup long-grain white rice (or use any other rice you like, you will need to adjust cooking time though for brown)
  • 2-3 tablespoons butter
  • 4 medium zucchini, grated on the large holes of a cheese grater then wrung dry in a clean kitchen towel
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • OPTIONAL: 2 cups of cooked, diced chicken breast

 DIRECTIONS:
  1. Bring the broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
  2. Stir in the rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. 
  3. Cook 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. 
  4. Remove from heat, add the butter and zucchini, and cover. 
  5. Allow to stand 5 minutes, then stir to incorporate. Stir in the cheese, and chicken breast (if using), season liberally with salt and pepper, and serve.